English Garden Landscape Design – The English garden landscape design combines the natural beauty of the outdoors with the quaint charm of a country cottage, integrating cozy accessories and secluded hideaways with colorful flowers and tranquil garden features. An English garden invites romance and mystery, while offering an elegant landscape design that complements an assortment of architectural styles. The simplicity of this garden style makes it a favorite for many homeowners, especially those hoping to add birds and butterflies to the scenery.
Perfect plants for an English garden
Shade, fragrance, color, and privacy are some of the most appealing features of an English garden landscape design. The flowers, trees, and shrubs you choose will be a big influence in setting the mood of your outdoor area. To keep your garden vibrant year-round, select a variety of perennials for each season. Think simple, fragrant, and vivid – here are a few ideas:
– Large stately trees, like the oak or ash, provide shade in the hot afternoon.
– Sweeping, colorful shrubs and trees, including willow and cherry trees, add elegance and mystery.
– Romantic vines and fragrant honeysuckles offer privacy to secluded seating areas.
– Tall wildflowers amid lush grass hint of the English countryside.
– Roses, Lily of the Valley, and primroses are ideal blooms for shady areas of your garden.
Alluring hardscapes with rustic charm
Paths and walkways are as important as flowers and trees in an English garden. Meandering footpaths, narrowly winding through the abundant and fragrant blooms overflowing the walk, invite exploration and discovery. Gravel, mulch, or interlocking pavers enhance the natural beauty of the landscape design, while stone walls and picket fences are the perfect place for sprawling flowers and crawling vines. Design your paths to offer a fragrant and relaxing tour of the garden as they lead to functional areas of the outdoor space.
Quaint English garden accessories
Select furnishings and decorations for your landscape design that offer English charm, while also reflecting the style of your home. Garden arbors and trellises, adorned with climbing vines and fragrant flowers, are the perfect addition to secluded hideaways. Garden benches and intimate tables make wonderful seating areas to view the most beautiful features of your outdoor space. Consider outdoor furniture made of weathered teak or rustic hardwood to reflect the country atmosphere. Gazebos and quaint footbridges also enhance the charm.
Inviting wildlife into your English garden
An English garden landscape design is a nature lover’s paradise. The abundance of fragrance and color attracts a variety of birds and insects, making your backyard the perfect place for bird feeders or a bird bath. There are a number of ways to make your outdoor space even more popular.
– Colorful berry bushes invite birds to visit.
– Clover, lavender, and asters are examples of plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
– Waterfalls and garden ponds are the best way to bring frogs, lizards, and birds into your outdoor space.
– Natural rock arrangements, flourishing meadows, and refreshing water features create habitats to ensure a happy wildlife population.
The beauty and tranquility of an English garden landscape design can bring charm and character to most any property, but there are similar garden styles that may be better suited for your home. Before planning the English garden of your dreams, consult with a professional that specializes in country garden landscape designs.