How to Store and Dry Your Fresh Garden Herbs? Are you fond of using herbs to add more flavor and aroma to your dishes? Do you want to have ready to use herbs in your kitchen? If yes, then you should learn how to store and dry your fresh garden herbs.
Nothing can compare with the convenience of having your own fresh garden herbs. You can get a lot of benefits from them especially when you store or dry them. Firstly, you no longer have to rush to the supermarket to buy the herbs you are going to use in your cooking. Next, you save a lot of time and money. Lastly, you can also share them with your friends and family.
If you have no idea on how to store and dry your fresh garden herbs, this article is right for you. Read on and find out how you can store and dry your fresh garden herbs so you can use them anytime you want.
How to store fresh garden herbs?
1. Choose the right parts for storing. In storing fresh garden herbs, you have to choose the best parts to store. Cut only those leaves that show no signs of discoloration. Do not include those that are infected by pests or wilted.
2. Clean the herbs well. To ensure that your herbs stay fresh, you have to clean them well before storing. Clean them well in running water. Check the leaves carefully too.
3. Store correctly. You can put your herbs in a clear plastic and stock them in the refrigerator. Those herbs that have stems may be stored by putting them in a container with water in the fridge. Just make sure to change the water everyday. Another effective way of storing your fresh herbs is by putting them in a sealed plastic bag and keeping them in the freezer.
How to dry fresh garden herbs?
1. Dry in bundles. You can dry your fresh garden herbs in bundles by securing them with a rubber band at the end. Then, let them dry under the sun by letting them hang in your clothes line. You may also place them inside a paper bag with punched holes for air to get in and hang them too.
2. Screen drying. If you want to dry smaller herbs, you can do so by using a screen. Just place the leaves on the screen and allow air to circulate through them. You can let the herbs dry indoors or outdoors during not so windy days.
3. Dry in the oven. The fastest way to dry herbs is by drying them in the oven. This procedure is recommended during winter or when there is not enough sun to dry the herbs. However, you have to be careful not to burn the leaves. Just set the oven at a very low temperature and once the herbs are dried, get them out of the oven immediately.
Now you no longer have to worry about wasting those fresh garden herbs you have. You can store them in your refrigerator or dry and keep them in containers for future use. By storing and drying your herbs, you are guaranteed of fresh herbs anytime you need them.